Monday, January 7, 2008

Lasagna


A few weeks ago, I bought the ingredients for lasagna. I was planning on making some sort of casserole dish for a friend who had a death in the family and I bought enough to make it for us too. I splurged on the ingredients because I was making it for someone else. For example, 4% cottage cheese, regular spaghetti sauce and a big bag of cheese. I had taken one of her pyrex dishes while she was away to the funeral with the intention of returning it full. Well with the holidays and getting back into my old schedule, I thought that it was a good time to return it. I also had another friend that was recently in a bad car accident and could do with someone else taking care of dinner for the night. With that, I decided that I should make a double batch of lasagne and split it between the three families. One large, and two smaller. based on the family sizes.

We delivered the two other pans, one piping hot with all the fixings and rocky road brownies (Mmmm, so glad they were made in a pan to give away so I couldn't sneak one) and the other ready to freeze. We can home and threw ours in the oven. An hour later, it was hot and ready to eat. I served it with french bread brushed with olive oil and spinked with garlic and parsley and a green salad with Italian dressing. The dinner was so delicious and satisfying. My husband loved the lasagne and said that it was the best I ever made. Our dish had 4 servings in it and he ate 2 1/2 of those. I had one and the baby had the other half. It is unusual for him to eat that much. Also, in the past we both would have eaten half of the casserole dish. It felt wonderful to enjoy the dinner and not be so stuffed that I felt sick. It was the perfect amount.

In reading WW materials, I came across something that said that lasagna is one of those high point favorites that should be eaten sparingly. Luckily, I planned my day around it and so the points weren't a problem. It calculated out to 8 in the recipe builder. The dinner was only 11 all together. I could bring that down to 6 for the lasagna with a few adjustments such as lowfat cottage cheese, fat-free pasta sauce, and ground turkey breast instead of regular turkey breast. I am not willing to put in fat free cheese. There is something so wrong with it for me. I think that it squeeks like rubber when melted and chewed. Yuck! That serving size is 1/9 of a 9 x 13 pan which is a generous serving.
It was nice to have an old favorite. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

Speaking of not missing out, I am off to have my ice cream bar. Mmmm, Cookies & Cream.

2 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

I love lasagna and that is something I know I could not see myself not eating for the rest of my life. It is definitely about moderation, not deprivation and I don't want to deprive myself something I enjoy.

Mrs Andy said...

When I first started on WW, Lasagen was off the list, but as you get into things and really learn how WW works for you, you will be able to add things like this back in and not feel bad or blow your points.

Somethings that might help, using whole wheat pasta, reduced fat chees, not ff cheese (because it does squeek and taste like rubber) or just use less regular cheese. I also use veggies instead of meat, like spinach or broccoli and also chopped carrots, bell peppers and chopped celery and mushrooms.

I also have a WW lasgane recipe I'll post on my Chicken Fat blog with the Ni listed too...

Your're doing great!