Thursday, January 17, 2008

Today's Menu




So this is what is on my menu today. I have always been a planner. As a child I remember my mom planning out our weekly menus before going to the grocery store and today I find myself doing the same things. Every once in a while I slip out of the habit but it is easy to get back into.

Thursdays are my planning days. First, I consult our calendar and then make dinner plans for every night so that I can plan my shopping accordingly. This helps with the grocery budget because I am really thinking about what we need and not buying a lot of unnecessary things. It can also help my waistline because I can plan healthy meals and carefully consider the allocation of my points depending on our weekly schedule.

This process has helped me so much in doing WW. Like I said, I plan Thursdays and then shop Fridays right after my WW meeting. Also, knowing what we are having for dinner at the beginning of the day helps me plan the rest of the day around dinner. We frequently have people over for dinner and go out so these are both things that I usually need more points for dinner on those nights. On the flipside, I like to eat light the night before I weigh-in or maybe have planned to meet a friend for lunch and on those nights I plan a low point dinner.

I have been using the recipes on the WW tracker. I really like them. I have probably tried 15 different ones and they have almost all been delicious. The only one that we didn't like was the chicken paella. This didn't really apeal to me in the first place but my husband always orders it at restaurants and I thought that I would give it a shot. It was terrible and after forcing a couple of bites, I decided it wasn't worth spending the points on and we decided to throw it away and eat something else for dinner. My favorite so far was the Chicken with Honey-Balsamic Glaze.

Well after reading this, you are all probably thinking that I am a bit of a control freak. Well, I am. My eating was one of the things that I had a hard time controlling in the past. I fell like I have control of what goes in my mouth. The Flex Plan gives me tangible limits and I like that, but with enough flexiblity that I don't feel like I am depriving myself.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Planning is so fundamental to success...good for you!
It's amazing how much flavor just a little honey can add to a recipe, isn't it?

TB--Milwaukee said...

I've been planning breakfast and lunch, but the dinner meal is still getting me. I try to leave extra points for the evening, since we never plan. For the most part, we do have the same things most weeks.

Unknown said...

That chicken recipe looks great. I think that I am going to try it next week. I wish I was a better planner. I usually start thinking at 4:30 what I am going to make for dinner.

Lynn said...

I've been working on planning out meals a week in advance as well, although I don't generally say I'm going to have X on Wednesday and Y on Friday, but more like I have seven dinners to plan, and I'll eat them as my points and what I want to eat crop up. Also, I tend to cook things by - am I in the mood to do a time consuming cooking dinner tonight, or am I in a hurry? I try to buy a mix of quick fixes and more time-intensive ones, but then, I really like to cook, so when I have time, I want to get all creative and spend time in the kitchen.

It's all good!