Friday, January 11, 2008

No Use Crying Over Spilt.....


..........COFFEE!


Well first, I was down 4.6 lbs this week and I wasn't nearly as nervous for my weigh-in. I was confident that I lost. I didn't know how much. To be honest, while I am happy with this number, I would have LOVED another .2 lbs. Why aiming for 4.8 lbs? Well because it would have taken my total loss to 10 lbs and thus another star. Those little stars are so motivating for me. On the flip side. I am pretty sure, actually positive, that I will get one next week.

However, when I weighed in I felt discounted by the lady weighing me in. I knew how hard I worked this week, no flexies, eating lost of fresh food and fiber and staying on plan. I was very proud of myself. As she recorded my weight she didn't say "good job" or "way to go" or "you had a good week". Instead as she showed me my number, she said "you know, you aren't going to keep losing this much every week" in a very negative and sassy tone. OK, this is something that I know, something that I know from talking to my leader, something that I know from previous diets (I know that is a 4 letter word here). SO I KNOW! I go to WW for encouragement and felt like that was such a downer. I am going to weigh-in with the other woman at the table from now on.

While I was pleased with the weigh-in, I was not so happy with the meeting. I have been getting there early the past two weeks knowing that there would be a lot of people because of the new year. This way I don't have to wait in line very long and I can get a seat near the front even though most of the early birds camp out in the middle or back. A man that I have seen at the last two meetings sat on the row with me a chair apart. He had a terrible scowl on his face and was sending out bad vibes. Thought that I would say "hi" to lighten his mood but no response. I decided that I was not going to let his bad mood me problem and moved on.

There were a couple of new faces hanging out around the room and I cam to the conclusion that they were WW staff. I think that my leader was being observed. She seemed a little flustered and trying extra hard. The line in the back was huge as the meeting started and people were talking and she had a hard time getting everyone's attention. The late-comers started filling in the empty seats on the front row. A lady sat in front of me. About 5 minutes into the meeting there was a huge crash. The lady in front of me had dropped her coffee and it spilled all over. The leader had it all up her legs and the women on both sides of the dropped had gotten hit too. The woman behind me said "Well, there goes the meeting!" At that point, I felt the same way too. A bunch of ladies rushed up to the front to help, people went to get paper towels from the bathroom and the next 10 minutes was spent cleaning it up while the leader tried to keep some kind of order and tried with no luck to keep the conversation going.

The meeting was totally chaotic and the ironic thing was that the topic for the day was on how productive and necessary meetings are. I was relieved when it was over. I know that life is totally unpredictable. I know it was just a fluke and next week it will be back to normal. I am going next week, the week after, and every week after that. I need people to be accountable to and I think that meetings are the way to go for me. Just thought I would share this crazy experience.





6 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Great loss! Don't be concerned about the weigher. They definitely should be as positive as possible though.

Kathy said...

Congrats on your great start. I'm sure the lady weighing you was trying to be helpful since so many new people really do come in expecting those great losses every week and go away terribly disheartened when they don't get them...but it also sounds like she needed to come across a little warmer! That poor leader must have been so shaken and I can't even imagine how the person with the coffee felt! OOPS!
Can't wait to hear how you do next week...good luck!

Lori said...

Frustrating meeting, but great that it didn't affect your plan for continued meeting attendance! I've had that same feeling with some comments made at the weigh-in scale. I've had to work to not let those kinds of comments bring me down.

I created a new blog yesterday, so check it out...thanks!

Living to Feel Good said...

Oh the stars. I LOVED getting the stars. I don't know if you know this, but I am a lifetimer. I have all the key chain charms and everything. I actually miss the meetings, but I can't afford to go to them, so I use the tools at home, plus I don't have much more to lose. I went through 5 leaders myself. My first one was my favorite, and where I lost almost all of my weight. She left, and I was upset because the replacement sucked. I went to a different meeting, and it wasn't until my 3 leader was sick and a fill in came in, I found my new favorite #4. She left too, and I had # 5, and stopped going after a while. Don't be afraid to try different days or different leaders. There are some REALLY great leaders out there. Reading your post makes me want to work for WW. I am a bit shy though, so I don't know if I could do the leader role. Anyway don't give up on your meeting, but if you don't feel it clicks, try a different one.
Now congrats on your loss!! That is fab!!! Keep up the good work and enjoy your star next week. Something to look forward to!! :D

Sherlyn said...

Congrad on your loss! That's great. I seen the post you left me. I'm at 170.5 today and I'm tickled pink. I'm going to continue to do on-line WW 'cause it just works great with my schedule. I'm so pushed for time that I don't know where I could fit in anymore meetings. I've met some ladies from my church who use to do WW meetings and two that are still currently doing meetings. They offered to watch over me and keep asking me about how I'm doing. Also this blog really helps! I hope your meetings improve. Just remember that these changes are for you! Don't let others destroy your willpower or your happiness! Besides you have all of your blogging buddies to help keep you striving forward!!! Congrads again!!

Anonymous said...

A smile and a little kindness goes a long way. I'm sorry so many sourpusses crossed your path that day.